These days, the English language is being used as a secondary or second language by many non-native speakers around the world. Since English has gone on to become the language of choice for communication between the people of different countries, it is a good decision to learn English as a second language.
The primary benefit of English language is that it is easy to learn. It is made easier if you’re able to find proper resources to learn English.
When you are developing English and Communication Skills, pronunciation plays a very important role. A wrong pronunciation can communicate something that you never intended to or may confuse the listener or at times not provide the message with clarity.
The biggest reason for this is that many words of the language are not pronounced the same way as they are spelt. Hence, you may have to concentrate on learning the correct pronunciation of words while learning English. However, if you follow the following tips, you will be able to pronounce correctly.
Tips to Improve English Pronunciation:
1. Do not confuse pronunciation of words with their spelling! For example, “threw” and “through”, although spelled differently, are pronounced the same. Also, identical letters or letter clusters in words do not always produce the same sound. For example, the “ough” in “though” and “through” represents a different sound in each word. Learn to practice what you hear, not what you see.
2. Imagine a sound on your mind before you say it. Try to visualize the positioning of your mouth and face. Think about how you are going to make the sound.
3. Listen to and try to imitate the Pronunciation Power instructor. In addition to listening for specific sounds, pay attention to pauses, the intonation of the instructor’s voice and patterns of emphasis. This can be just as important as the pronunciation of sounds.
4. The English language has many different dialects, and words can be pronounced differently. It is important, however, that you pronounce words clearly to ensure effective communication.
5. Mirror Practice – practicing in front of mirror will help you develop correct lip, tongue and jaw movements to get the correct pronunciation.
6. Read English Text Loudly – as you read loudly, you will be able to identify the mistakes in your pronunciation.
7. Finally, the Pronunciation Power program is a tool to help you. But you must practice what you are learning! Remember that you are teaching your mouth a new way to move. You are building muscles that you do not use in your own language. It is like going to the gym and exercising your body. Use the program to exercise your mouth a little bit each day.